This site is a volunteering roles board for Extinction Rebellion UK National and Regional Groups
To organise with a Local UK group please go to our main UK website.
To organise outside the UK please go to our global website.
Are these types of roles for me?
Extinction Rebellion UK National or Regional Groups typically ask volunteers to:
- Have time to give each week (Most roles require 7-15 hrs/week or more but timing is usually flexible.)
- Join the Group’s weekly meeting (Most groups meet online via conference call)
- Have some specific skills or experience (Though sometimes enthusiasm is enough!)
- Be fairly comfortable with computer technology (We organise online using forums, file-sharing, etc.)
There are many different ways of getting involved with XR, though! You can see other options at https://rebellion.earth/join-us
For an introduction to XR, online training and a guide to finding your place in the Movement, go to https://uk.rebellion.academy
Will I risk being arrested?
Most of the roles advertised on this site are organising ones. Whilst XR has had organisers arrested this has been uncommon and usually of very high-profile people. Less obvious organisers, such as those arranging arrestee support, have not been arrested. Whilst arrest is always a possibility it is unlikely if you are not on site and not a leading organiser. You can read the full briefing from our legal team here: https://informeddissent.info/conspiracy
How do I find a role?
Click on 'Roles' in the top menu to see all roles on offer. You can narrow down your search by using the filters on the left-hand side of your screen. You can search by
- “Which part of the UK you want to work for (you don't need to live there)
- Which types of work you are interested in
- How many hours per week the role needs
- Whether you have to be somewhere in person or can work remotely from your computer
When you find a role you are interested in, click the ‘more’ button to bring up the full details. There is also a link to find out more about the work of the Group posting the role.
How do I apply for a role?
There are two ways you can do this:
1. Create a profile (see below) and then browse open roles. Groups will be able to see your profile so can contact you to offer you roles you may not have noticed.
2. Apply directly to an open role. When you go directly to a role and click 'apply' you will be asked for some limited information about yourself so the Group can contact you. You can save this to create a profile and add to it on the 'Create or Edit my Profile’ page which pops up next. Saving your profile will allow Groups to get in touch with you directly to offer other roles. Alternatively, if you prefer to apply for just that role and don't want other Groups to contact you, you can choose not to save your profile.
Just click ‘apply’ at the bottom of the page and your details will be sent to the Group who posted the role. To increase your chances of being selected, make sure your profile is up to date and reflects the needs of the role being advertised.
What are the roles highlighted in yellow?
These are the ones we are trying to fill particularly urgently.
What can I do without creating a profile?
You can browse the roles on this site and even apply for roles, although you will need to enter some information about yourself each time you do. Groups will not be able to see your details to get in touch directly with other offers.
How do I create a profile?
Please click on the REGISTER button on the homepage, complete the boxes and tick to accept our Volunteer Agreement.
This will take you to your profile page where you can add more information. Please give as much detail as you can as this will help you get matched to a role more quickly.
Use keywords to describe your skills and help the Groups find you e.g writer; admin; social media; Java; facilitator; reliable etc.
Why are you asking for personal information?
We have included some questions about your age, ethnicity, disability, gender, sexuality and education. This is because we want to increase diversity in XR and encourage existing organisers to especially reach out to groups under-represented in our Movement. We intend all organisers with access to this information to be trained in its proper use.
All of these questions are optional of course.
Do I have to apply for roles to be offered one?
Not necessarily! If you have created a profile Groups can see the details you entered and so may contact you directly for roles they think you might be suitable for. But we encourage you to apply for roles to maximise your chances!
How quickly should I apply for a role I'm interested in?
The roles do not have application deadlines in the way a paid job would - the post stays open until it is filled. Sometimes things move quickly so if you like the look of a role it is best to apply as soon as you can!
What happens once I've applied for a role?
The Group you’ve applied to may get back to you right away or it may take a little time.
To see what is happening with your applications go to your user homepage (‘My Account’) and click “my applications” in the menu on the left. Here you can see their status.
- “Pending” The Group has taken no action yet
- “Not successful” The Group has declined your application. Please don’t let that put you off applying for other roles, though!
- “Under review”. The Group may get in touch to discuss things or to offer you the role
- “Successful” Congratulations! The Group will be in touch to tell you how to get started.
What happens if I'm offered a role?
If the Group has accepted you they will get in touch with you using the contact details you’ve provided to talk to you about the next steps.
Please hide your profile and withdraw from any other roles you have applied for to save our hard-working Groups from trying to contact you when you are no longer available.
Hide profile: log in to your account, click ‘my profile’ in the left-hand menu, scroll to the bottom of the page and untick the box which says ‘profile active’.
Withdraw role application: log in to your account, click ‘my applications’ and then click on the bin icon against any that are showing status ‘pending’ or ‘under review’.
Can I only apply for one role at a time?
No, you can apply for several roles at once. However, if you are selected for a role and so are no longer available, please remember to hide your profile and withdraw from any other roles you have applied for (see “What happens if I am offered a role?” above).
How can I change my details?
Log in, go to your homepage and click ‘my profile’. Here you can change any of the details you put in when you first created a profile.
What if I no longer want to volunteer?
Please remember to hide your profile and withdraw from any roles you have applied for (see “What happens if I am offered a role?” above)
You can always return and re-tick the box to make your profile active if you become available again.
Or, if you are sure you will not want to come back, you can delete your profile altogether by going to ‘Settings’ and then clicking on ‘Delete Account’
How can I keep updated on new roles?
When you visit the Roles pages the most recent roles will be marked ‘New’ and will be at the top after any highlighted roles. If you don’t want to keep checking back however we can email you with details of new roles. To sign up for this please enter your email address in the “receive new roles weekly” box on the roles page or tick the ‘roles alert’ box at the bottom of your profile page.
I'm stuck/ I have a question
Please contact the UK Integration team on firstname.lastname@example.org Put ‘Volunteer Question’ in your heading to help us respond to you a.s.a.p!